The Early Career Professional (ECP) Committee within the Fisheries Management Section is working to support the transition from student to fisheries professional and expand opportunities for those fisheries professionals starting out in their careers. More specifically, the committee is currently working to:
- survey Early Career Professionals to find out what they need (Completed Survey),
- Sponsor networking events at Annual Meetings
- extend the time period during which new professionals are offered reduced membership and meeting registration costs,
- develop a Early Career Professional exchange program, and
- interview past inductees into the Hall of Excellence.
The Society now recognizes Early Career Professionals as those within five years of graduating. In Portland, the AFS membership voted to extend the guidelines from three to five years because many fisheries professionals are not yet fully established in their career within three years and are often not afforded the opportunities of more senior professionals.
If you are interested in the activities organized by the Fisheries Management Section Early Career Professional Committee contact the chair Kyle Bales.