Call for Hall of Excellence Nominations – Due Date Extended to July 14, 2022
The HOE was established in 1992 and its stated objectives are to: 1) to recognize fisheries management professionals who have made outstanding and cumulative contributions to the advancement of fisheries management; 2) to provide a site where the contributions of those honored can be displayed and viewed by the public and other fisheries professionals; 3) to emphasize the accomplishment, dedication, and principles of those honored in the HOE; and 4) to honor and describe the fisheries management profession. Selection to the HOE is the highest honor given by FMS. Take the time to consider those individuals who have been instrumental in structuring your career and nominate them if you deem them deserving. Think about some of the real success stories in fisheries management and focus on the individuals instrumental in making those successes happen. All too often our efforts go unrewarded and there is no greater reward than being recognized by your peers. The 2021 inductees into the HOE were Dan Schill and Ed Bowles and they joined the previous inductees listed here. Each inductee has a plaque on display with their likeness and highlights of their careers and contributions to the fisheries management profession. The award recipient(s) will be recognized at our annual meeting held at the AFS meeting in Spokane, WA, August 21-25, 2022 (in-person or virtual).
Nomination letters must contain the following information:
- Nominations should include name and current address, date of birth, and date of death (if applicable) of the nominee.
- A nomination may be submitted by a single individual or it can be a collaborative nomination. The collaborative portion can also be in the form of letters of support for the main nomination. Collaborative nominations should be submitted together.
- The nomination should include the candidate’s significant contributions to fisheries management and the location of the work. Those selected for the HOE must have made significant contributions in fisheries management, management-oriented research, development of methods and equipment, administration of management programs, or the promotion of fisheries resource conservation, protection, and management. The more detailed the nomination materials, the better the HOE Committee is able to judge the worthiness of the candidate.
- The HOE award is presented at the annual Fisheries Management Section business meeting that is held in conjunction with the national American Fisheries Society meeting. Award recipients do not need to be present to accept their award. If your nominee is selected for the award, we will ask that you summarize the nomination in 500 words so that it can be presented at the meeting. Candidates selected for induction will need to provide a black and white photo (head and shoulders) to be displayed on the plaque and we will ask the nominators for help acquiring these, if applicable.
- The application deadline for the HOE award is July 14, 2022. Send nomination letters to [email protected] or 5000 W. Carefree Hwy, Phoenix, AZ 85086.